Wednesday, October 24, 2007

#20 You too can TouTube Ramblings

In my blog for last week I wrote about having a hoot of a time watching YouTube. I spent many hours listening to and watching music form my past ie. Dylan and Lennon. Today I ventured into other YouTube territories . Rather sad I guess , if you find time to look at "Another World is Possible!" - nothing new, but a humbling reminder of Our World and its inequality. The background music is "Simon and Garfunkles - Sounds of silence" this sets the mood I guess. Picture this
  • Our Nikes - their plastic bottle shoes
  • Our electronic games - their bleached skeleton bones for building blocks
  • Our computer savy schools - their writing in dry parched ground
  • Our caring Parents (sometimes) - they don't have any
  • Our food excess - their starvation
  • Our comfy beds - their hard ground
  • Our obesity - their skeletons

Are you still complaining?

Another world is possible

I watched a few other on poverty " Make poverty History" and there was one featuring Nelson Mandala.

No complaints and enough of that.

For something Lighter I watched "Conan the Librarian" wow - our customers think they have it bad with their overdues.

As far as YouTube and Libraries go - with our need to adapt to emerging technology You Tube could be a fun way to add life to our web page - instead of text instructions on how to place a hold on the new on line catalogue we could Have video instruction with illustrations on what to do next etc. Yes I fancy that. Should we feature Super Librarian or Sexy Librarian, or maybe Conan......

I watched "Do you want to be a librarian"

While we are discussing the explosion of blogs, social networking and video-sharing sites - the librarian in this clip were coming to terms with microfilm, motion pictures, record player. Getting word about libraries out to the public could be done via - newspapers, radio, film etc.

Looking at this clip reminded me that yes we have come along way and yes we have kept up with technology even if we lag behind a bit. So I gues we'd better get blogging and podding, and networking -socially. The roles remain the same though - cataloguer, reference libarian, circulation librarian - they were able to sit down on the job!!! Chidrens librarians...............

Our abilities will be challenged but we will derive satisfaction>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No comments: