Monday, October 8, 2007

#16 So what's in a wiki? Ramblings

I had a look at other Library wikis. I thought the Book Lovers wiki would be a great way of sharing reviews on Interesting reads.
The SJCPL Subject guides had an incredible amount of linked information - this could become the ultimate community directory - where people add links to the various subject headings- I would be concerned about inappropriate information being added though- this would be a main concern with any of the wikis I looked at - no censorship so may not be appropriate for junior users?
Generally I think wikis are links to enourmous resources of information . Could be possibilities to use wikis as a training tool,
I can see wikis being useful for disseminating information to staff - ie. putting staff intranet into a wiki. Putting the staff Circulation Manual into a wiki might be useful for staff? A staff manual would need tighter control over who could add , update and remove info, whereas a general library wiki soliciting content from customers would be more open. I can see it could be very time consuming though as checks for appriate information would need to be monitored.

No comments: